The vast Amazon forest may be hard to penetrate, posing a problem for authorities trying to stop illegal logging – but there are still eyes in the sky keeping track of the destruction. Satellites monitor Brazil’s Amazon, enabling authorities to catch deforestation gangs in the act AFP/NELSON ALMEIDA For three decades, a group of researchers have been monitoring forest clearing, agriculture and land use thanks to satellites orbiting the Earth and beaming images to Brazil’s National Institute for Space Research (INPE). The center is located in Brazil’s southeastern city of Sao Jose de Campos, far from the Amazon. But the thousands of satellite images sent to deforestation monitors give a pretty good idea of what?s going on in the forest on a daily basis. “It’s the only project in the world that does monitoring on this scale,” program coordinator Claudio Almeida told AFP during a visit to the center, located near the mega-city of Sao Paulo. “All of the European Union would fit into the Amazon with a bit left over. So monitoring this means you have to be on top of remote sensing technology,” he said. BORN UNDER DICTATORSHIP The program is the government’s main way of tracking deforestation…. Read full this story
- Space Agency Eyes Amazon Cloud for Star Data
- Images: Satellites keep eye on hurricanes
- Ebay eyes Amazon's retail turf
- Data watchdog keeps eye on U.K. businesses
- Amazon fires – is the rainforest still burning?
- Amazon brings Alexa to Brazil, kicks off pre-orders for devices
- Amazon Go app hits Google Play just ahead of Seattle store opening
- Best smart home hubs: The differences between the Echo and other Amazon devices, Google Home, and Apple HomePod
- Today's top tech deals: Amazon Kindle, PlayStation VR, Instant Pot, and so many more
- Amazon, Gunning For "Biggest Jerk" Award, Will Be Banning Chromecast And Nexus Player Listings From Its US Store
- Amazon's hardware is poised to utterly dominate the holiday season
- Amazon Alexa app update brings Alexa to your phone
Brazil keeps eye on Amazon deforestation with satellites have 337 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at December 13, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono Deal. If you want remove this page, please contact us.