Update: This limited time offer will end today at 9:59pm EDT!
Originally posted on 2/13:
DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post.
Table of Contents
Until 4/24 only, you can earn 100K Marriott bonus points for opening this card and spending $5,000 in 3 months.
The previous signup bonus on this card when it was the Starwood Business Card was 75K Marriott points.
There is a $125 annual fee, though the signup bonus and annual anniversary nights are worth well more than that.
Welcome bonus terms:
You won’t get the welcome bonus on this card now or after the rebranding if you have ever had a Starwood Business AMEX, or if you have or had an active Chase Marriott Business card in the past 30 days, or if you signed up for a Chase Marriott consumer card in the past 90 days, or if you received a signup bonus on a Chase Marriott consumer card in the past 24 months.
- 2 points per dollar everywhere
- 4 points per dollar at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 6 Marriott points per dollar at Marriott hotels.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
You’ll need to spend $5,000 on this card within 3 months.
You can pay your federal taxes for a 1.87% fee. If you overpay your taxes you can request a refund or apply it to your next year’s taxes.
My local natural gas company allows me to prepay up to $1,000 on a credit card for a $1.65 flat fee. That’s a great way to earn miles and help meet a spend threshold. My electricity supplier allows me to pay with a credit card for free as long as I am enrolled in autopay.
Airline transfer bonus:
You can transfer increments of 60K Marriott points into 25K airline miles or 27.5K miles with United.
Marriott has dozens of valuable airline transfer partners, such as Aegean, Alaska, American, Lufthansa Qantas, and dozens more.
Earn statement credits at stores that you register for in yoour AMEX account.
- If you need to return an item up to $300 and a store won’t take it back due to a time limited or final sale policy, AMEX will gladly refund you thanks to return protection. The vast majority of the time you’ll even be able to keep the item, but if you do need to send it back the return shipping will be free. That’s a far more generous policy than any other bank offers. This benefit is valid for $1,000 of returns per card per calendar year.
- If a store charged a restocking fee to return an item then AMEX will cover it, up to $300/item, as part of their return protection coverage.
- You get up to 2 additional years of warranty coverage, double the original manufacturers warranty, and if you have any issue in the extended warranty year they’ll pay to have it fixed or refund your entire purchase price without a hassle. This benefit is far more valuable than warranty benefits offered by other banks.
If you need to dispute a charge there’s nobody who makes it easier or as pain-free as American Express does. It’s the easiest dispute resolution process in the industry by leaps and bounds and you can do it all online.
- If your item is stolen or broken within 90 days you’ll be covered.
- See this post to see just how amazing AMEX benefits can be.
Premium Internet Access:
Cardholders get free premium in-room internet at Marriott hotels.
Unlimited worldwide Boingo WiFi:
With either Starwood card you now get free unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi worldwide, perfect for avoiding confiscatory rates at airports when traveling. Search from over 1 million hot-spots here.
This card offers Silver Elite status.
If you spend $35K/year you will earn Gold elite status.
You will also get 15 elite night credits for having the card. You can only get 15 night credits per year, regardless of how many different Marriott cards that you have.
You will receive a free night upon every card anniversary valid at hotels that cost up to 35K points. Anniversary nights expire 12 months after they post to your account.
If you spend $60,000 in a calendar year you will receive an additional free night within 8-12 weeks of completing the spend requirement. The free night is also valid at hotels that cost up to 35K points. Bonus nights expire 12 months after they post to your account.
Business vs Consumer card:
This business card offers several 4 point per dollar spending categories, something that is not offered on Marriott consumer cards.
While general spending is now longer as lucrative as it was with the old Starwood AMEX that earned 3 Marriott points per dollar, you can earn more than you were able to with the old Starwood card in U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
AMEX business cards don’t appear on your credit report. That’s good for several reasons.
First of all they won’t count against your 5/24 count for opening new Chase cards. Only cards on your report that have been opened within the past 24 months count for that.
Second, when you spend money on personal cards your credit score will be hurt even if you pay your bill on time. A whopping 30% of your credit score is based on credit utilization. You can pay off your card bill before your statement is generated to avoid that, but that takes effort and laying out money well before you have to. Additionally it’s good to have the statement close with a couple dollars to show the card is active and being paid every month. On an AMEX business card it’s just not reported, so you can wait until the money is due without it having a negative effect on your score.
Third, if you close a business card it won’t ever have an effect on your score.
You may already have a business that needs a card to keep track of expenses. For example if your name is Joe Smith and you sell items online, or if you have any other side business and want a credit card to better keep track of business expenditures you can open a business credit card for “Joe Smith” as the business. You don’t need to file any messy government paperwork to be allowed to do that.
Sample hotels where you can use your anniversary or bonus night:
- Anchorage Marriott Downtown
- Atlanta Marriott Marquis
- W Atlanta – Downtown
- Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards
- Boca Raton Marriott at Boca Center
- Courtyard Boston Brookline
- Courtyard Boston Copley Square
- Aloft New York Brooklyn
- New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
- Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
- Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
- JW Marriott Chicago
- W Chicago – Lakeshore
- Metropolitan at The 9, Autograph Collection, Cleveland
- The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
- W Dallas – Victory
- JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek
- The Westin Southfield Detroit
- Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach
- The Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
- Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, Hawaii
- Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, Hawaii
- Courtyard Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Oahu
- The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- JW Marriott Houston Downtown
- SpringHill Suites Jackson Hole
- The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, Kansas City
- Sheraton Kauai Resort
- Courtyard Key Largo
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West
- Sheraton Suites Key West
- JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel
- SLS Las Vegas, a Tribute Portfolio Resort
- AC Hotel Beverly Hills, Los Angeles
- Residence Inn Beverly Hills, Los Angeles
- Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles Westside
- Los Angeles Airport Marriott
- Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel
- AC Hotel New York Times Square
- Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park
- New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott
- The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester
- Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
- Aloft Miami Aventura
- Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay
- AC Hotel Miami Beach
- Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach
- Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach
- Residence Inn Miami Beach South Beach
- Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles Beach
- Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection
- The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
- W Miami
- W New Orleans – French Quarter
- JW Marriott New Orleans
- Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
- Courtyard Oahu North Shore
- Courtyard Palm Springs
- Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
- Park City Marriott
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
- Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront
- Courtyard San Diego Old Town
- W Scottsdale
- Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
- Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
- The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
- Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
- W Brisbane, Australia
- Melbourne Marriott Hotel, Australia
- The Westin Melbourne, Australia
- The Westin Perth, Australia
- Marriott Vacation Club at Surfers Paradise, Australia
- Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, Australia
- Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia
- The Westin Sydney, Australia
- DO & CO Hotel Vienna, A Member Of Design Hotels, Austria
- Le Méridien Vienna, Austria
- Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection, Bahamas
- Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel, Brazil
- JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Delta Hotels Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, Canada
- Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel, Canada
- Le Westin Montreal, Canada
- Residence Inn Mont Tremblant Manoir Labelle, Canada
- Courtyard Niagara Falls, Canada
- Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel, Canada
- The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, Canada
- Delta Hotels Vancouver Downtown Suites, Canada
- Delta Hotels Whistler Village Suites, Canada
- W Santiago, Chile
- JW Marriott Hotel Beijing, China
- The Ritz-Carlton, Beijing, China
- The S. Regis Beijing, China
- The S. Regis Chengdu, China
- JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, China
- The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai, China
- The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan, China
- The Ritz-Carlton, Shenzhen, China
- The S. Regis Shenzhen, China
- Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, Costa Rica
- Four Points by Sheraton Havana, Cuba
- Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
- Boscolo Prague, Autograph Collection, Czech Republic
- Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
- Sheraton Fiji Resort
- Le Méridien Nice, France
- Le Dokhan’s, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Paris, France
- Renaissance Paris Republique Hotel, France
- Athens Marriott Hotel, Greece
- Domes Miramare, a Luxury Collection Resort, Corfu, Greece
- Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort
- The Westin Resort Guam
- Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel
- Mira Moon Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels
- The S. Regis Mumbai, India
- Sheraton Lake Como Hotel, Italy
- AC Hotel Firenze, Florence, Italy
- The Westin Palace, Milan, Italy
- Le Méridien Visconti Rome, Italy
- AC Hotel Venezia, Venice, Italy
- Publica Isrotel, Autograph Collection, Herzliya, Israel
- Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel, Japan
- The Westin Miyako Kyoto, Japan
- Hotel Pacai, Vilnius, a Member of Design Hotels, Lithuania
- JW Marriott Hotel Macau
- The Andaman, a Luxury Collection Resort, Langkawi, Malaysia
- The Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius
- Marriott Cancun Resort, Mexico
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico
- The Westin Cozumel, Mexico
- W Mexico City
- Hacienda Puerta Campeche, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Mexico
- Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, Mexico
- Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, Netherlands
- Four Points by Sheraton Auckland, New Zealand
- W Panama
- Palacio del Inka, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Cusco, Peru
- JW Marriott Hotel Lima, Peru
- Sheraton Lisbon Hotel & Spa, Portugal
- La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, Puerto Rico
- S. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
- Trump Turnberry, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
- Le Meridien Singapore, Sentosa
- Sheraton Towers Singapore
- The Westin Cape Town, South Africa
- JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, South Korea
- Renaissance Lucerne Hotel, Switzerland
- Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel, Switzerland
- Sheraton Zurich Hotel, Switzerland
- Hotel Proverbs Taipei, a Member of Design Hotels, Taiwan
- The Bangkok EDITION, Thailand
- The S. Regis Bangkok, Thailand
- Le Méridien Chiang Mai, Thailand
- JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, Thailand
- Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, Thailand
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, Thailand
- Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, Thailand
- The Ritz-Carlton, Istanbul, Turkey
- The S. Regis Istanbul, Turkey
- The Abu Dhabi EDITION, UAE
- The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal, UAE
- The S. Regis Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Dubai Marriott Harbour Hotel & Suites, UAE
- JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, UAE
- London Heathrow Marriott Hotel, UK
- London Marriott Hotel Kensington, UK
- Residence Inn by Marriott London Bridge, UK
- JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam
Will you signup for this limited time offer? Where will you use your anniversary nights?
- A Point of View: The all-American drive to legalise marijuana
- Justin Bell laps Willow Springs... in the dark... using only night vision
- Report: NFL investigating deflated football Steelers used Thursday night
- Aston Martin: the auction ends today
- Avalon Celebrates 5 Year Anniversary With New Retailers
- Philadelphia Eagles own the field and the stands as they end the Jaguars' winning streak in London
- 'Korea Night' to take place in Hanoi
- NFL snap judgements, week nine: Saints end the Rams' unbeaten dreams and Brady bests Rodgers in New England
- With Mondesi looming, Escobar appreciates why 'unbelievable' streak about to end
- The best and worst from UFC Fight Night 136
- NFL RedZone: Carson Wentz's return, JJ Watt's re-coronation plus everything else to look out for in week three
- MLB standings, playoff picture update: AL West and second wild card still up for grabs