American is offering a 25% bonus for converting select hotel points into miles through 10/30. Registration is required.
This promo is valid for transfers from Best Western, Choice, IHG, or Marriott points. The only worthwhile transfer ratio is from Marriott.
A transfer of 60K Marriott points normally converts into 25K AA miles, but will become 31,250 AA miles with this promotion.
Back in 2010 you were able to rack up countless Starpoints thanks to the US Mint, miles transferred to AA counted for million miler status, and AA had an awesome round-the-world award chart. I took advantage of all of those, but they no longer exist.
During 2015’s bonus I cautioned that American’s award chart was “so much better than their competition’s award charts that you can’t help but wonder when the devaluation will come…”
So why would you transfer hotel points to American?
Some routes have had more award space of late. Plus American still has valuable partner awards. You’ll have to hunt for them as some partners, like Cathay Pacific, are only bookable over the phone. Others, such as Etihad and Air Tahiti Nui, have much better award availability by calling AA in Australia or New Zealand.
For example I used 105K American miles to fly in an apartment on Etihad Shower Class from the Maldives to Cleveland via Abu Dhabi and JFK.
Though because of the #ElectronicsBan, I was stuck having to take pictures with my GoPro:
And my phone:
Just be sure to compare American’s requirements with other airlines before transferring.
Just for example, I flew from JFK to Vancouver in Cathay Pacific First Class for 35K Alaska miles. That same flight would have cost 55K AA miles. Non-elites would also have paid American a $75 last-minute fee which Alaska doesn’t charge, so be sure to do your research before you transfer.
The 25% bonus miles fulfilled by American will be posted within 7 business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by Marriott. The initial transfer can take a couple of days.
You can earn Marriott points on cards like:
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Consumer Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Card
- Here is a comparison of all Marriott cards.
- Targeted: Up To 25% Bonus When You Transfer Points To Qantas!
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 60,000 Points On The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card!
- Highest Public Offer Ever: Earn 60,000 Points On The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card!
- Airline And Hotel Program Devaluations Prove Why Transferable Point Currencies Are Critical
- Reader Question: What Should I Do With My AMEX Points If I Want To Close My Business Platinum Card?
- How to Navigate the Complicated World of Credit Card Points
- Are Bank Points Overtaking The Value Of Airline Miles? 2 Hybrid Cards Allow You To Lock In The Best Of Both Worlds
- All About Mileage Expiration And Transfer Options For 57 Loyalty Programs: Keep Points From Expiring And Bring Them Back To Life!
- The Starwood AMEX Will Give One More Year (With Some Caveats) Of 3 Points Per Dollar Earnings!
- The Starwood Consumer AMEX Will Give One More Year (With Some Caveats) Of 3 Points Per Dollar Earnings!
- Here Is The Registration Link For Your Former Starwood Consumer AMEX To Earn Up To 3 Points Per Dollar Once Again, But Should You?