Want to open a bank account AND make money while doing it? Get the inside scoop on new bank account promotions with with our updated guide for 2018 bank promotions in Canada!
Whether you want to earn free movies or straight-up money, these deals are worth a look. We’ll keep you updated as offers change, so bookmark this page and check back from time to time.
Here are some offers currently available through Canadian banks:
BMO Bank of Montreal
Get $100 when you open a new bank account online
This is pretty much the easiest way to earn free money just by opening a new bank account with Bank of Montreal. Specifically, you’ll need to open a new digital chequing account with an eligible plan before July 2, 2018.
Here’s how it works:
- 1. Sign up for a new chequing account and make a deposit before July 2
- 2. Set up a recurring direct deposit to the account (and have at least one deposit made by Aug. 2, 2018)
To qualify, you must sign up online and not have an existing chequing account with BMO. Customers who closed a chequing account between July 2, 2017 and July 2, 2018 are also excluded from this deal. You can see the full details here.
You’ll receive the $100 as a cash bonus. Just note that if you open a joint chequing account, you’ll only get one bonus.
Expires July 2, 2018
RBC (Royal Bank of Canada)
Save 3¢ per litre when you link your Petro-Points card to an RBC debit or credit card
This is one you can jump on even if you’re not opening a new account with RBC. All you need to do is link your Petro-Points card to one or all of your eligible RBC debit and credit cards, and you’ll be able to earn points faster and save on gas!
Here’s how it all works:
- 1. Get an eligible RBC debit card or credit card. Don’t have one? Apply now.
- 2. Get a Petro-Points card. If you’re not a member yet, you can sign up here.
- 3. After that, log in to your online banking account and follow the linking instructions.
Once everything is all connected, you’ll save 3¢ per litre and earn 20% more points when you use your linked card at a Petro-Canada location!
No expiration date
Earn 5,000 free SCENE points (good for five free movies) when you open an account
This one is perfect for all you movie buffs, since banking with Scotiabank can help you earn SCENE points towards free movies! All you need to do is open a SCENE-eligible bank account (like the Scotia One Chequing Account with SCENE Rewards) with a SCENE debit card, and you’ll get 5,000 points!
You’ll also earn one SCENE point for every $5 you spend with a SCENE Visa Card and get 5x the SCENE points on any Cineplex purchases you make with that card. Plus, you can earn 4,000 SCENE points (good for four Cineplex movie tickets) with the first $500 you spend on everyday purchases in your first three months with the card.
Want to try and figure out exactly how many SCENE points you could earn? Check out their handy SCENE calculator, which breaks everything down for you!
No expiration date
Get a $100 bonus when you switch to a Tangerine chequing account
BMO Bank of Montreal isn’t the only place offering $100 bonuses this summer! If you open a Tangerine chequing account sometime in the next week, you might be eligible for $100, right in your pocket.
To qualify, you’ll need to open a Tangerine chequing account before July 2, 2018 and switch your payroll direct deposits (for at least three months) or pre-authorized payments (of at least $50 each for a minimum of three months) over to that account by Aug. 3, 2018.
One bonus of choosing Tangerine over other banks (besides that $100) is that they offer a no-fee daily chequing account – which means you can save more of the money you put in the bank, instead of just paying to keep it there.
Expires July 2, 2018
Did we miss anything on this list? Let us know over on Facebook or in the comments!
- David Malpass as World Bank chief should please Democrats AND Republicans (but not China)
- 22nd Century Group (XXII) Q4 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- Tailored Brands, Inc. (TLRD) Q4 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- Lululemon Athletica (LULU) Q4 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- DealBook Briefing: Growing Unease Over Government Shutdown
- What If Trump Has Been a Russian Asset Since 1987?
- Donald Trump to again join elites at World Economic Forum in Davos
- AZ Memo: Released killer appeals re-imprisonment; growing Arizona hops indoors; actor turns to selling olive oil in Scottsdale
- Could 'A Star Is Born' sweep the Oscars?
- FIFA Fast Facts
- National Lipstick Day: How to get a free MAC lipstick, Sephora mask and other deals Sunday
- Frontier Airlines reveals 22 nonstop routes this week