It seems like a big company reports a data breach every other day. Last week I wrote about the Equifax data breach settlement.
Capital One announced today that they experienced a breach that affected 100 million people in the US.
33 year old Paige Thompson has been arrested in connection with the breach. Capital One says that they believe it is unlikely that she disseminated the data or used it for fraud.
- No credit card account numbers or log-in credentials were compromised
- Over 99 percent of Social Security numbers were not compromised.
- Compromised information included data that Capital One collects at the time it receives credit card applications: Names, addresses, zip codes/postal codes, phone numbers, email addresses, dates of birth, and self-reported income.
- Credit scores, credit limits, balances, payment history, contact information
- Fragments of transaction data from a total of 23 days during 2016, 2017 and 2018
- About 140,000 Social Security numbers of credit card customers were compromised. These are comprised of those who used their Social Security number as their employer identification number in applying for small business credit cards.
- About 80,000 linked bank account numbers of secured credit card customers were compromised.
It’s important to watch your credit report to ensure that you don’t find any fraud on it. You can check your credit reports from all 3 credit reporting agencies here for free every year.
- Regulators circle Uber as data-breach details emerge
- Another Uber scandal: It hid massive data breach of 57 million users
- NSA in Your NSX: Your Car is a Data Breach Waiting to Happen
- NFLPA waits for right opportunity to fight confidentiality breaches
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia expected to step down this offseason, report says
- Mychal Kendricks, who visited Vikings, mum on latest report on signing with Browns
- BMW's concept interior is one step closer to Minority Report holographic screens
- Step Right Up: NHTSA announces list of 2012 models to be tested
- Yorkshire’s John Quinn proved right after latest Signora Cabello triumph
- 2018 NHL Playoffs: Lightning-Capitals Game 6
- Lightning-Capitals Game 6 analysis: Washington shakes up lineup with season on the brink
- Lightning-Capitals Game 6 analysis: Vasilevskiy, Holtby star in scoreless first period