COMET Neowise has made its closest approach to Earth. Astronomers don’t think the space rock will be coming this close again for around another 7,000 years so luckily it was caught on camera. Neowise was only discovered by Nasa in March. At it’s closest it was around 103 million km away. That’s about four times further away than the Moon is. The comet reached its closest approach to us on July 23 but you should still be able to spot it for a few days more.Try looking for it an hour after sunset under the Big Dipper constellation. Neowise has been a very popular stargazing attraction this month because you can see it with the naked-eye. However, if there is poor visibility in your area due to the weather or light pollution then head over to the Virtual Telescope Project’s YouTube and watch it live. Neowise has been visible from mid-northern latitudes, including the UK and the US.It’s now heading away from us on a journey to loop around the Sun. The comet has been rising higher in the sky as the month has gone on. If you still want to spot it but are having trouble, try looking for… Read full this story
- Look up! Newly found comet Leonard will blaze into view later this year and could be the 'brightest of 2021'
- Here's Our First Glimpse of the Rosetta Comet’s Dark Side
- Earth has a SECOND 'Trojan asteroid': 1,800ft-wide space rock is trapped in the same orbit as our planet for at least 4,000 years
- Don't look up! Astronomer captures footage of huge 3,451ft asteroid as it makes its closest approach to Earth in almost 90 years
- Rosetta space probe catches up with comet
- Flashback: The day a black-hearted Halley's Comet met a little European probe
- NASA Launched a Rocket 54 Years Ago. Has It Finally Come Home?
- Best On-The-Road Photography: 20 Winners Of Travel Photographer Of The Year
- The International Space Station will crash back down to Earth in 2031
- Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites could stop us spotting asteroids and TRAP us on Earth, experts warn
- Combining 150,000 images, astrophotographer captures stunning details of Sun
- He Spent 25 Years Infiltrating Nazis, the Klan, and Biker Gangs
Stunning pictures show Comet Neowise at its closest point to Earth before vanishing for 7000 years have 359 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at July 24, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono Deal. If you want remove this page, please contact us.