Professor Wallace Broecker, who has died aged 87, was an oceanographer and paleoclimatologist who popularised the term “global warming” and became known as the “grandfather of climate science”. In 1975 Broecker published a paper entitled “Climatic Change: Are We on the Brink of a Pronounced Global Warming?” – the first time the phrase appeared in a scientific paper. At the time the earth had experienced a prolonged period of cooling, prompting predictions of a new ice age. Broecker, however, argued that the cooling period would soon end and warming due to human activity would soon be evident. Broecker’s model only included the effects of CO2 and his best estimates of natural cycles. It did not… To continue reading this article Start your free trial of Premium Access all Premium articles Subscriber-only events Cancel any time Free for 30 days then only £2 per week Try Premium Access one Premium article per week Register for free Register for free to continue reading this article Register Or unlock all Premium articles, free for 30 days Start trial Already have an account? Login Want to learn more? View all subscriptions
- Climate change report warns oceans warming and rising faster, putting lives at risk
- Great Barrier Reef faces dire threat with 2C global warming, UN report says
- Stopping global warming is only way to save Great Barrier Reef, scientists warn
- Fight against global warming harder than expected: study
- Freak WARMING in the Arctic is to blame for the big chill over Europe: Experts warn it's 'never been this extreme' and predict it may happen more often due to climate change
- Climate change debate overheated after sceptic grasped 'hockey stick'
- Here’s some climate change reading that won’t ruin your week
- Climate change is not just about science – it’s about the future we want to create
- The Most Insane Claims From the Climate Conspiracy Manual Just Sent to Thousands of Teachers
- How the 'climategate' scandal is bogus and based on climate sceptics' lies
- Emails reveal strenuous efforts by climate scientists to 'censor' their critics
- Battle over climate data turned into war between scientists and sceptics
Wallace Broecker, the ‘grandfather of climate science’ who popularised the term ‘global warming’ – obituary have 336 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at February 25, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono Deal. If you want remove this page, please contact us.