A woman is one of nine recipients of a grant from the government for inventing an environmentally friendly material to be used in coffee cups.Fanya Ismail is the chief executive and founder of Gillingham-based chemistry company Sol-Gel Coatings & Advanced Materials.She has invented a waterproof material that will be used in disposable coffee cups which removes the need to use plastic.The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy awarded her £50,000 to go towards the development and marketing of her invention.The funding was awarded today as part of International Women’s Day.She used a chemical process called ‘sol-gel’ which produces solid materials from small molecules that will make disposable coffee cups waterproof without the need to use plastic.”I have been working on this invention for six or seven years, it is a great thing to be recognised for the hard work that has gone into the invention and I will now be able to take this to the commercial world.”Fanya came to the UK in 1995 from Kurdistan. Having studied chemistry in her home country, she studied for her Masters and PHD at the University of Manchester.She formally worked as a lecturer for Kingston University, London, before starting Sol-Gel Coatings &… Read full this story
- Plastic bags ban triggers violence in Australian supermarkets
- Woman has five botched boob jobs at Turkish clinic – so WHY did she keep going back?
- Tattooed wannabe-rapper is jailed for busting a woman's lip during a night out with her boyfriend - but their relationship appears over after a VERY frosty exchange
- Use of plastic straws scrapped at Scottish Parliament
- Garki woman gives away easy way to Get Rid of unwanted fat, lose 17kg and burn off belly fat in few weeks without diet pills or exercise
- They dreamt. They dared and excelled. So can you
- Kim Kardashian enjoys breakfast with Kanye West and their four kids in new Instagram post... weeks after being mocked for 'empty shelves' in one of her refrigerators
- Totnes: the town that declared war on global capitalism
- Best eco friendly alternatives 2020: from recycled tees to biodegradable cleaners
- 'You can't instagram tea': is trouble brewing for the classic cuppa?
- Asda launching entirely new sort of supermarket - where you bring your own packaging
- Skin City
Woman's grant for plastic-free coffee cup innovation have 370 words, post on www.kentonline.co.uk at March 8, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono Deal. If you want remove this page, please contact us.